The Greek Catholic of Berezhany honor a cross neglected by Soviet authority

Wednesday, 14 October 2009, 13:10
With the renewing of the dome, restoration work has begun in the former Bernardine Fathers Church (current parish of the Martyrs of Pratulyn) in the city Berezhany. The workers let down the ancient forged cross on which the shoulders were trimmed. The disdain of the holy relic happened after 1939 during Soviet rule when the monastery complex was passed to the colony of Berezhany. On the Feast of the Cross of the Lord of 2009 the cross was placed in the church for honoring.
With the renewing of the dome, restoration work has begun in the former Bernardine Fathers Church (current parish of the Martyrs of Pratulyn) in the city Berezhany. The workers let down the ancient forged cross on which the shoulders were trimmed. The disdain of the holy relic happened after 1939 during Soviet rule when the monastery complex was passed to the colony of Berezhany. On the Feast of the Cross of the Lord of 2009 the cross was placed in the church for honoring.  “The force of the cross is invincible, it overcomes death. Our Savior used the cross in order to rescue us. He carried out God’s justice, accepting on Himself the Divine justice. Contemplating this once disdained, and today given for honoring the instrument of God’s salvation, let’s remember the boundless depth of God’s love,” remarked the administrator of the parish Father Mykhail Buhay as he spoke to the faithful. The Bernardine Fathers Church was built in 1630. Since 1998 it operates as a parish of the UGCC. The pastor – Father Mykhail Buhay – is at the same time the chaplain of the colony and takes care of juveniles who committed a crime.

Oleh Kharyshyn,
Press-secretary

PUBLICATIONS

Tragedy confronts our thoughts as to the value of life05 October

The recent tragic loss of life and well-being in Las Vegas and from the terrorism act in Edmonton, Canada, preceded by the loss of life and major...

MEDIA
Prev Next